Captain’s Weekend Lilleshall Hall Golf Club – 18th & 19th June 2016
The wet weather cleared up just in time for Captain’s Weekend at Lilleshall Hall Golf Club to be a great success. Captain Will Schofield and Vice-Captain Alan Smith were on hand throughout the tournament welcoming contestants to the first tee and wishing them well for their medal round on Saturday 18th & the final play off starting at 3pm on Sunday 19th June.
As well as arranging a special fly-past by the Red Arrows on their way to the Cosford Air Show, Captain Will had ensured that the course was a real challenge following the recent rain by employing the maximum length possible on the majority of holes. However, many members rose to the challenge. Lilleshall Hall is the only club in Shropshire to run the Captain’s medal as a qualifying competition with the best 12 competitors taking part in a 9 hole play-off.
Mark O’Connor finally won the day over the other medal qualifiers with a combined nett score over 27 holes of 98 strokes.
In addition to the medal round, club members played a Junior competition, a mixed Greensomes, and a Men’s Foursomes over the weekend.
12 Medal qualifiers were Mark O’Connor (winner), Jo Moore, Richard Hendy, Barrie Sheldon, Stuart Meadows, Geoff Lewis, Dennis Sutton, Alan McCafferty, Paul Perks, Dave Ferguson, Rob Hall & Daniel Perks.
Other prize-winners were as follows
- The best Gross score was by Stuart Meadows with a 68, a fine achievement on a challenging day.
- Captains Prize runner up – Richard Hendy
- Best 21 – 28 handicap score – Jo Moore
- Best Veteran – Dennis Sutton
- Foursomes Winners – Richard Hendy & Stuart Meadows
- Foursomes Runners-up – Andy Sayner & Gordon Twigg
- Mixed Greensomes Winners – Bernadette & Andy Micklewright
- Mixed Greensomes Runners-up – Julie & Andy Napier
- Nearest the pin on the 6thhole – Lee Fullwood
- Junior winner – Owen Reynolds